Friday, September 3, 2010

Apple Oat Bran Muffins with Dried Apricots

So, on August 21st, I delivered twin boys naturally...  It was a much better experience than my first.  I only pushed for 2.5 hours---and had a 45 minute break in between! :) I am working breastfeeding both twins now--and it takes a lot out of me.  For one thing, I am just plain tired... but I swear my appetite is so much bigger than it was when I was pregnant!  This brings me to my point of posting this recipe.  Originally, I wanted to post my mother-in-law's Orange Muffin recipe--so full of healthy goodness (i.e. flax, oat bran, wheat bran, oat bran...etc), but I can't find the recipe.  As an alternative, I made these Apple Oat Bran Muffins with Dried Apricots inspired by "Moosewood Restaurant: Cooking For Health" version (p.52)..  It is nice to have an easy, on the go snack between meals, feeding twins and an working with an active toddler!

1/2 cup of plain non-fat yogurt (Stoneyfield is my favorite)
1 mashed banana
1 tsp of pure vanilla extract
2 tbsp of black-strap molasses
1/2 to 3/4 cup of finely chopped dried apricots
2 cups of chunky applesauce (mine was homemade, but store bought pureed should be fine or just finely cut up peeled apples)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon (or more-my fav)
1/4 rolled oats
2 tbsp ground flaxseeds
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 375.  Lightly oil a 12 muffin tin. Stir together yogurt, banana, vanilla, and molasses in a mixing bowl.  Then stir in the apricots, oat bran, and applesauce.  In another bowl, bring together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and stir in the oats, walnuts, and flax.  Fold the dry mixture into the wet mixture just until combined.  Spoon into muffin tins and bake for about 15-20 minutes.

Fresh out of the oven, I could not resist... I ate them warm and with a little spread of natural peanut butter.  Talk about melt in your mouth!  Now if I am a little hungry amidst the chaos and can't think of what to eat... I just grab a healthy muffin. :)




2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this!
    Also, you are my hero for baking with newborn twins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look at you go. Baking with young twins, although I do remember you said baking was a relaxer. These sound great!! I will have to try them for sure.

    ReplyDelete