Saturday, January 22, 2011

Easy Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars

2 cups Almond Milk (or whatever you have on hand)
1 ½ cups steel cut oats 
¾ cup unsweetened applesauce (or grate about 1-2 two ripe apples)
½ cup of chocolate chips
¼ cup of raisins (optional, sub nuts, or more chocolate chips)
½ cup ground flax seeds
1 tsp of cinnamon (or to taste)
1 tsp of pure vanilla

Preheat oven at 350. Mix all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a lined a 8 or 9 inch pan with parchment paper (these are dense).  Bake for about an hour and then allow them to cool in the pan.  Once cool, cut into squares… serve alone, in a bowl with organic milk (any kind) or yogurt… I was inspired by a Whole Foods’ recipe.

This recipe is so easy!  I prepared my coffee machine to brew, whipped up the bars and threw them in the oven.  My husband, Jordan and son Brinley woke up to the smells of a yummy breakfast!  It is grainy with a hint of sweetness.  Lots of fiber, so drink water! :)


For another recipe like this that takes a little more work, check out my Baked Soaked Oatmeal Bars with Chocolate Chips.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds super delicious. I can't wait to try it.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made these last night and baked them in a muffin tin, I probably should have decreased the time a little bit because them came out rather browned but still amazingly delicious and nutritious (always a good combination) and bonus, they are travel size!!

    ReplyDelete