Monday, January 24, 2011

Mushroom-Carrot Soup with Brown Rice

Our dinner last night was YUMMY!  I still had leftover Homemade Baked Beans, so I used this to make bean burritos.  I took the beans and heated them with 1 tbsp of Frontier Taco Seasoning and about 1 tsp of chili powder.  I then wrapped them in 100% whole grain tortillas with one strip of cheese each.  I placed all the burritos in a 9 X13 and topped them with a mixture of fresh salsa and a tbsp of the leftover bean mixture.  I baked them for about 30 minutes at 350 and then added about ¼ cup of grated cheese over top for another 10 minutes (cheese can be overdone sometimes, so this was a perfect amount).  I served it with Whole Foods inspired dish below.  Let me just tell you… it is my new favorite soup!  We had friends over and it was nice to have leftovers reinvented into a new dish. 

In the soup, I was inspired to use carrot juice because at Kroger, the expensive Odwalla Pure Carrot Juice was on “Manager Special” for 2.99!  I mixed some of it in some fresh orange juice for Brinley for breakfast.  I still had a ton left, so I thought adding to this soup would be interesting.  It had this savory, sweetness (if that can be a concept).  I encourage you to try it.  I can’t wait to have more today!  :)

3 tbsp EVOO
3 cups of pure carrot juice, divided (if you do not have this, just use more broth)
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
1 ½ cups of water 
1 medium onion, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery with leaves, chopped
1 ½ cups of fresh or frozen asparagus, chopped
2-3 garlic gloves grated
10 oz.  shitake mushrooms, chopped
1 bay leaf 
1 tsp dried oregano
¼ tsp cumin
8 Servings of cooked Brown Rice
In a large pot over medium-high heat, bring EVOO and 1/2 cup carrot juice to a simmer. Add onion, carrots and celery and cook about 8 minutes or until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally. Add remaining 7 1/2 cups liquid, asparagus, mushrooms, herbs/spices, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook about 35 minutes. Remove bay leaf.  Serve over top of some cooked brown rice (or other grain like quinoa).  Serves about 8 or so.  

No comments:

Post a Comment