Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Blanched Roasted Spanish Peanuts


I have been on the hunt for just plain, unsalted peanuts that aren't too expensive.  I love to have a couple tablespoons in my yogurt with berries--I love the added crunch, or even in oats.  I love this little local shop in our town called, "Anderson's Market"--they sell a lot of bulk items like steel cut oats...etc, and have great prices.  While I was stocking up on a few basics, I noticed that they had raw Spanish Peanuts for a very, very small price.  The clerk was apologetic that they were out of their salted and/or their roasted versions... but I reassured her that I loved the price and I would just do it myself!


So the Spanish Peanuts had their little flaky skins.  I tried one--raw peanuts aren't that great. :)  So, today, my 5 month twins took naps (at the same time for the first time) and my toddler took one at the same time--I took a chance at getting some things done.  While doing dishes, starting laundry--I remembered that I wanted to try my Spanish Peanut Roast.

Here is the recipe:
1 lb raw Spanish Peanuts
3-4 cups of water
sea salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Put the peanuts in a large bowl.  Bring water to boil (I used a teakettle).  Pour the boiling water onto the peanuts and let them sit for about 3-5 minutes.  Then, take a slotted spoon (you will notice that the skins come off), and scoop them flat on top of paper towels.  Pat them down and let them dry for about 5 minutes. Place them on a jellyroll pan and make sure there is one layer. Bake for about 10 minutes, stir them, and bake for another 10-12 minutes.  Turn your oven off and let them sit in the oven for about 5 minutes.  Once cooled, add a little sea salt if you prefer and store them in an airtight container...

I love that my house spells like peanut butter right now! :)  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment