Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year 2011: Whole Grain Waffles


Eating his eggs.
How the time has gone by... again, I haven't been on here much, but we have had such a big year... with teaching   a course online and the twins' birth, we have been kept pretty busy.  I do think about writing here often, especially when I cook/bake something that turns out really great.  I guess I will just start out easy! :)

Kale and Tomato Omelet
Since our family is just about the only one bigger than the "just the 2 of us" kind of family, we didn't do much to celebrate New Year's outside of the home.  On New Year's Eve, we spent the evening trying to watch a few movies.  We ended up giving up since our 4 month twin babies, Henry and Smith, kept us a little busy.  On New Year's morning we had a nice breakfast:

Homemade Whole Grain Waffles
MorningStar Veggie Organic Sausage
Free Range/ Organic Omelet with Kale and Tomatoes
Free Range/ Organic Scrabbled Eggs (for my husband)
Organic Greek Yogurt

Tons of waffles (great for leftovers)
For drinks, I had tomato juice and my coffee with a splash of skim milk, Jordan had leftover Christmas Punch (pineapple- orange juice mixture), and Brinley had his rice milk.
Leftover homemade cranberry sauce as a topper...

Whole Grain Waffles (inspired by pancake recipe from Moosewood Restaurant for Cooking for Health)

1/4 cup ground flaxseed
1/2 rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (or whole wheat)
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/2 tsp of baking soda
1 tsp of baking powder
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla
1 cup of milk, added with 1 tsp of applecider vinegar (or you can use buttermilk)
1/4 olive oil
1 cup of water
2-3 tsps of turbinado sugar (or honey--my husband likes sugar better)

Packing up the leftovers
In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients-mix with a fork.  In a separate bowl, combine all the wet ingredients by whisking together.   Pour dry into wet.  All a while, make sure that you heat your waffle iron.  I put a little vegan Earth Balance butter on the iron to prevent sticking.  My iron made about 8 large waffles.  Serve with pure maple syrup, fresh berries, or like us, leftover homemade cranberry sauce made with brown rice syrup and orange juice.

Brinley's plate
If you try this, let me know what you think.  It was a hit in our family!  We had some leftover and I froze the extras.  My husband just takes them out of the freezer and heats them in the oven (or toaster).

No comments:

Post a Comment