Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bread Machine Buttery Rolls (oh so easy!)

Now I can’t take credit for the below recipe-as most on this blog.  The concept here it to take what has been created and re-vamp it for health, for fun… just for the love of cooking in general.  The below recipe is from “Money Saving Mom” (MSM)-a blog I follow.  There recipe can be found at this link:
http://www.moneysavingmom.com/2010/01/bread-machine-buttery-rolls.html

I am going to say that I am pretty proud of how this turned out.  I do have a wheat intolerance so I just took a pinch of a bite, but when I see my husband and son devour them… it gives me a happy feeling (and slight jealousy).  These rolls, of course, are a treat due to the higher sweetener and fat content… but at least there are no preservatives, dyes, and any other chemical that should just not be in food.  I encourage you to try this recipe if you have a bread-maker.  The one thing I forgot to add was a ¼ cup of ground flax (go figure)-though I am sure it isn’t lacking in any other food that I make!

Bread Machine Buttery Rolls
1 cup warm milk (70-80 degrees)
½ cup vegan butter, melted (Soy-free Earth Balance)
¼ cup turbinado sugar
¼ cup raw honey
2 eggs
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups flour (half whole-wheat and half masa flour)
2 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast

Add ingredients in the order list to your bread machine. Run on dough cycle. When dough is complete, divide into 20-24 portions and shape into balls.  Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise for 15 minutes. Bake at 375 degrees for 13-16 minutes until golden brown.  Yields about 20-24 rolls-give or take.

Per MSM’s advice, I added a little more “sweet” to the recipe by adding ¼ cup of raw honey.  MSM mentioned that warm honey/butter would be nice on them.  I opted not to do this.  Once they cool and you put them in an airtight container, they will become moist.  My husband added his own butter and homemade strawberry jam to his.  My son just liked it plain.

Also, I had them divided onto 2 baking pans: a jellyroll pan and a pizza stone.  The jellyroll rolls got a little darker on the bottom—not burned, but almost.  The pizza stone rolls turned out just right.  So if you are using regular pans, I would cook these at either 350 degrees or for about 2-3 minutes less.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment