Monday, January 31, 2011

Vegan Coffee Fudge Brownies

As promised, here is my sweet-sugary dish. It is a better alternative to the norm, but definitely in moderation!  Enjoy:

¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ cup brown rice flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3-4 tbsp ground flax
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
1 ¼ tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 ½ cups turbinado/organic evaporated cane sugar
¾ cup coconut milk (I have used almond milk too)
¾ cup leftover organic decaf coffee
½ canola oil
¼ cup vegan chocolate chips

Icing
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1/4 cup vegan butter (Earth Balance is what I use)

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees and grease a 7 x 11 or a 9 x 13 pan (I like them a little thicker so I use the 7 x 11.  If you use the 9 x 13, then use about ½ cup more of choco chips and ¼ cup more of vegan butter in your icing).

Sift your dry ingredients in a large bowl.  In a separate bowl, mix your wet and stir well.  Pour wet into the dry and mix until even.  Pour into your baking dish and bake for about 25-30 minutes (depending on the size of your pan). 

Once semi-cooled (about 25 minutes or so), make the icing.  Put the choco chips and butter in a microwave safe bowl (I like to use a large measuring cup) and heat for about 20-30 second increments in the microwave until melted and “tar-like”.  Pour onto brownies and spread the icing… then put in the fridge.  Serve whenever!

I have spoken about The Kind Life before—maybe back in one of my 2009 posts.  I LOVE this book.  This recipe above is from it—with a few little tweaks of course!  Now, cinnamon is one of my favorite spices!  It helps you metabolize sugar, prevent inflammation,  and…well,  the list goes on… Like flax, I like to toss a pinch or two in my recipes for that added benefit.

2 comments:

  1. can I make these without the coffee??? my kids won't like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes--but honestly you can barely taste it! :) Just add more milk in place of not adding it. How did you like the adzuki beans?

    ReplyDelete