Sunday, February 13, 2011

Granola

We are aiming to cut back on buying cereals around here.  There are many great organic selections out there, but groceries have gone up!  Also, it is nice knowing that I can make something just as good and yummy for the family at a better price.  Here is my version of granola... change it up with the nuts, seeds, dried fruit... etc.  Have fun with it:

6 cups rolled oats, divided
1/2 cup ground flax 
1/2  cup rice bran (Ener-g has a good brand)
1  cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sesame seeds 
1 cup chopped slivered almonds
1/3 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1-2 tsps of cinnamon
1/2 cup safflower oil
1/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/4 cup brown rice syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread the half of the oats into two 9 x 13 into baking dishes, and bake for 10 -12 minutes.  While the oats are toasting up, combine flax, rice bran, dried cranberries, seeds and almonds in a bowl.  In another bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients (wet).  Take the toasted oats and pour them into a large bowl.  Pour and stir the dry flax mixture into the oats until well combined.  Then slowly add in the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.

Take the mixture and spread and divide the of the mixture between the two baking dishes.  Bake for 10 minutes, stir and then bake for another 5 minutes or so.   Then allow the granola to cool in the baking dishes.  Store in an airtight container (I like to use my large mason jars).

I was inspired by The Kind Life recipe, “Mom’s Granola”.  There are a few things I changed: not using sugar granules, but adding brown rice syrup, rice bran, ground flax, dried cranberries… etc.  This is so yummy!  Enjoy!!!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Carol, this looks so delicious. I have oatmeal (the good stuff, no instant here) every morning for breakfast which I sweeten with honey and sprinkle whole organic flax seeds on top. I've been meaning to ask you, what's difference (either digestively<--not a word or nutritionally) between ground flax and whole flax seeds?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenna, Top of the mornin' to you! :)

    Yes, there is a difference-your body doesn't absorb the wonderful nutrients from a whole flax seed--they need to be ground. It is best that you buy them whole and grind them yourself b/c they lose their nutritional value ground sitting on a shelf. I keep my flax in the fridge/freezer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh thank you Carol! I tried to grind my flax seeds in our food processor and it didn't seem to break them down. What kind of grinder do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenna-Hey there again! :) I use my coffee grinder :) Just make sure to wipe it really clean after you are done so the residue doesn't sit in your coffee maker. It works wonders!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Carol. I'll definitely get on that. My breakfast has been completely revamped so now just to go from regular milk to almond or soy milk, that's my next transition :)

    ReplyDelete