Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Eve Baked Black Beans

1/2 cup mild salsa
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tbsp. of fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tsp. of dried sage
2 cans of black beans (15 oz each)
1/2 strip of kombu, cut into small pieces (optional)
6-8 sun-dried tomatoes (pre-soaked in boiling water for about 10 minutes and then chopped)
2 tbsp. agave syrup
1/4 cup shredded cheese (white cheddar)

Preheat oven to 375.  In a saucepan on medium heat, combine the salsa, garlic, cilantro,and sage for about 3-5 minutes (to allow flavors to come together).  Then add in the rest of the ingredients (minus the cheese) and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, remove from heat and in a 8 x 8 casserole dish, poor in mixture and top with cheese.  Bake for about 25-30 minutes.  Serve as a side dish with either fresh sprinkled feta cheese or more white cheddar.  Would also serve as a great dip with tortilla chips.

I made this for our Christmas dinner.  I was trying to look for a protein and iron alternative for my son and I.  Along with this dish, the menu included (between myself and our friends that joined us): Sunflower and Honey Bread (made with buckwheat, almond, & quinoa flours), Bulgur Waldorf Raisin Salad, Roasted Sweet and Red Potatoes, Slow-cooked Apple Citrus Chicken, Green Beans with a hint of lemon, Flaxbread Stuffing and a Lemon flavored Cheescake--with a Granola crust.  Guys---the food was great!  Below is a picture if half of the food on the table... I wish I had a photo with all of the food, but I guess I was just too focused on eating!  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment