· 1 cup dry lentils, cleaned
· ¾ to1 lb of ground beef, cook w/ garlic, pepper-salt to taste, drain fat (optional)*
· 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
· 1 16 oz. can of unsalted crushed tomatoes
· 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
· 1 large onion, chopped
· 3 garlic cloves, crushed-the more the better!
· ¼ cup of ground flax
· 2 tablespoons chili powder
· ½ teaspoon cumin
· ¼ teaspoon allspice
· ¼ teaspoon of Mrs. Dash or some no-salt blend of spices--Bragg makes a good one.
· 1 jar of tomato sauce (about 20-24 oz)
· 2 cups whole kernel corn
Combine everything--except tomato sauce and corn--in a crockpot (at least 2 ½ qt.). Let it simmer all day 6-8- hours. When you have about 30 minutes left, add and stir in the tomato sauce and corn. Once it's done, serve with organic shredded cheese on top, low-fat sour cream and/or organic corn chips. I used all organic ingredients in this recipe (aside for the spices). I hope you like it!!!
*If you don’t want to use beef, I think ground turkey or chicken would be good… if you prefer no meat, I think I would either throw in another ¾ to 1 cup of lentils (or other bean) or 1 cup of another vegetable like peas, red peppers or some sort of squash—have fun with it!