Friday, November 20, 2009

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

  • 2 large sweet potatoes (or 3 medium) scrubbed and cut into wedges (keep peel)
  • 1-2 Tbsp. safflower oil or coconut oil
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. fresh minced basil or rosemary
  • 2 tbsps of ground flax
  • Sea salt and black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400°F. Toss the sweet potatoes in a large bowl with the oil, basil or rosemary, flax, salt, and pepper to coat. Spread onto a large baking sheet. Drizzle with any remaining oil from the bowl. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until tender, flipping halfway through.

*I used to hate sweet potatoes, with their marshmallow topping...  Loving sweets myself, I found this version, so gross!  Knowing how good sweet potatoes are for you (great source of Vitamin A), I was bound and determined to try them in a way I would eat a "regular" potato... and I am impressed!  I love sweet potatoes the "salty" way.  I also throw them diced up in soups, make them into mash potatoes, bake them like fries... the list goes on.  If you like them sweet, try  sweetening them up with fruits, honey, agave or maple syrups... those with a lower GI.  My uncle actually makes baked sweet potatoes with oranges (I will have to get this recipe for you all!).

No comments:

Post a Comment